1939Antonio Consiglio manages Lasa Marmo by himself
The period between 1938 and 1947 left the deep scars of those unhappy times in Lasa too. An agreement sealed between Hitler and Mussolini on October 21st 1939 (the options) for the transfer of German and Ladin minorities, meant that 200.000 South Tyroleans (1.100 in Lasa) opted to move into Greater Germany. Because of the outbreak of war, only 75.000 left the South Tyrolean homeland until the German occupation of South Tyrol at the fall of the fascist regime in 1943.
In 1945, at the end of World War II, most ‘opting’ parties returned home. Parts of the Weisswasser quarry had been used as a secret depot for food and spirits of the German Wehrmacht. Antonio Consiglio, managing Lasa Marmo by himself, succeeded in maintaining the quarry active between 1938 and 1947 and initially gave work, for long periods, to up to 50 workers, signing contracts with the Hardy-Bank first and with the ‘Ente Nazionale per le Tre Venezie’ later.