Johann Schmidinger came to Covelano in 1750. He was a stonecutter from Bavaria who was seeking opportunities to work for Count Friedrich Adam Brandis of Lana.
In addition to his work as a stonemason, Schmidinger was also a forester. In 1778 he was the first individual to be granted marble extraction rights in the Covelano area by the Hall Court of Mines, rights which had hitherto been very vaguely defined from a territorial point of view. At the beginning he would personally extract the marble, offering the locals an opportunity to gain extra money in exchange for various services.
After 1830 the Schmiedinger family relied on external contractors and then eventually sold the rights.