Paving stones made of Lasa marble refine the newly designed courtyard
For the two halves of the newly designed inner courtyard of the former Luitpoldbad in the Bavarian State Spa, Bad Kissingen (Lower Franconia, Germany), Lasa Marmo supplied 2017 natural split paving stones in the format 8x8x8 cm for a total area of 2,000 m2.
Built between 1868 and 1871 and covering 120,000 m2 in neo-Renaissance architectural style, the spa and bath complex was the largest bath house in Europe at the beginning of the 20th century. In 2012, the Free State of Bavaria, as the owner of the facility, decided together with the Bad Kissingen municipal administration to carry out a general refurbishment and to convert the historic infrastructure into a multifunctional and modern public authority centre. Following a Europe-wide invitation to tender, the Würzburg architectural office Grellmann, Kriebel, Teichmann was awarded the contract for the conversion planning of the listed building in 2013. Instead of the existing swimming pool, a spacious inner courtyard was created for open-air events. The snow-white paving stones enhance the newly designed open spaces and provide the events courtyard within the historic building, divided into two halves by a central aisle, with a correspondingly elegant and noble setting. The cobblestones were not only laid in the outdoor area but also under the central aisle. Since its opening in October 2017, music events such as the Kissinger Summer Music Festival have taken place regularly in the inner courtyard of the Bad Kissinger Luitpoldbad.