he areas where Lasa Marmo Ltd. quarries marble are located in the autonomous province of Bolzano-South Tyrol (Italian name: Bolzano-Alto Adige; German name: Bozen-Südtirol), which belongs to Italy, and are situated in the Venosta Valley (German name: Vinschgau), more specifically in the Lasa Valley (German name: Laaser Tal), and belong to the municipal area of Lasa (German name: Laas), which is located between Merano (Meran) and Malles Venosta (Mals).
All of the Lasa (Laas) quarries belong to the Jenn Cliff Massif, precisely that mountain ridge with the largest natural bed of marble. The marble deposits in the Jenn Cliff Massif are estimated at approximately 30 million cubic meters. It is therefore among the largest white marble deposits worldwide. The White Water Quarry at an altitude of 1567 meters above sea level, which is today managed by Lasa Marmo, is the most operated marble quarry in the Venosta Valley (Laaser Tal).
In addition, there are the Lechner Quarries, comprising the Jenn Cliff Quarry, Zirm Cliff Quarry, and the Mahd Cliff Quarry. Historic discoveries and quarries: Located on a level with the White Water Quarry is the Quarry Tarnell. The Mahd Cliff discovery is however located behind the Jenn Rift at 1780 m, and a bit further into the Lasa Valley (Laaser Tal), the Valtin Ground discovery is located at 1914 m. The discovery place in the Lasa Valley (Laaser Tal), where marble was first exploited was the 'Jenn Cliff Ries'. Between 2150 m and 2200 m behind and above the Zirmkopf the historic Jenn Cliff Quarries can be found: New Quarry, Middle Quarry and Back Quarry. At the Zirmkopf (1914 m) the Zirm Cliff Quarry was formerly exploited, as well as the Upper Nessel Cliff (1635 m) and Lower Nessel Cliff (1610 m) in the Jenn Rift.
The marble from the Lasa valley
It is easy to see why the eastern part of the romantic Lasa valley (Laaser Tal) is also known as the “marble mountains” and it seems that the four hundred million year old deposits will go on forever. Long before marble was quarried on a large scale here, local people hauled blocks of it down into the valley and collected what fell down the side of the Jenn mountain (Jennwand-Ries) of its own accord. It is not known for sure how long this kind of activity continued but we find crude marble blocks and sheets used for the construction of various Romanesque churches with their statues and portal entrance arches as well as door arches from the VIII and IX centuries and even earlier boundary stones and menhir dating from the Neolithic and pre-Christian eras. Over 100 years ago pioneers opened the quarries in the Lasa Valley (Laaser Tal). To this day the White Water Quarry remains the area’s main source of marble.